Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanks and Wishes


It’s the time of year when we engage in a lot of reflection.  We should do this all year but it’s nice to have a traditional season to sort out what we are blessed with, what we aspire to, and what we’re going to do about it.  Beginning with Thanksgiving here in the US and continuing through New Year’s Day, we are all taught to look back and then forward (and are subjected to an avalanche of commercial messages instructing us in how to do so and how much to spend) in order to achieve our primary goal in life: happiness.

So without further ado, and with minimal commercial content, here are a few things I’m thankful for and some of my wishes for the 2011 holidays.

What I’m Thankful For

  • I am gainfully employed.  In this economy, that’s something to be thankful for indeed.  I am very fortunate to have a good job doing something I love.
  • I am economically secure (related to the above).  Materially, my family wants for nothing (if you don’t count ridiculous desires).  We have a nice house, enjoy good food and wine, and can fix or replace stuff when it breaks.  I’m not “in the 1%” – far from it – but I truly couldn’t ask for more.  If I do so on occasion, indulge me; I’m American, after all.
  • There is enough left over that I can be generous with my family, my friends and the causes I believe in.  This, to me, is the essence of economic security.
  • I am in relative good health.  I’ve had a few challenges this year but I have absolutely nothing to complain about and a lot to be thankful for.
  • I have an amazing family, and they are all doing well in their lives and health.
  • I have equally amazing friends of all shapes, sizes and ages. I feel that after many years I’ve finally become part of the community that I live in, despite my ridiculous business travel schedule. This is in no small part because my friends make an effort to reach out to me and because we have the social communication tools to do so.  So yes, among other things, I’m thankful for Twitter.
  • Despite all of our problems and challenges I still believe that this is the greatest country in the world to live in.  I’m thankful I was born to it and can participate in our great national roller coaster.

My Holiday Wishes

I already have the iPad; I made my lovely wife give it to me early.  Anything material beyond that is superfluous.  So a few non-material things that I’d love to see for the holidays:

  • I want the people in my life who are in poor health to get better.  Now would be good.  Above all, this is my most fervent wish.
  • I want my family and friends to smile a lot.  And to reach out for help when they feel they can’t.  And I want the power to correct that.
  • I want our elected officials to collectively grow a pair and start acting in the interest and service of the country instead of in the service of ideology, maximum campaign contributions and the next election. Sometimes I ask too much but this is about my wishes, right?
  • I want the Patriots and the Ravens to win out their regular season schedules, and meet in the AFC Championship.  Then I want the Pats to win BIG on their way to a Super Bowl victory.  This may be partly inconsistent with my second wish -- sorry Baltimore.
  • I want to never forget for a moment what I have (see “What I’m Thankful For” above).

If you want to do something for me this holiday season (and I know you do!), there is something on my list that you can help with.  Please give whatever you can to the American Cancer Society, or any other organization that helps fight cancer.  This disease is affecting many of the people I love and care for and we need to keep making progress towards a cure.  I’d appreciate that a lot more than a sweater.

Happy, warm, peaceful and joyous holidays to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment