Saturday, July 16, 2011

Stealing Hope

I think one of the most positive trends in the US economy today is the return to small-scale production and customization.  Over the past ten years, I’ve seen a trend towards more craftsmanship and customization that brings us better and more suitable products and creates good jobs for craftsmen and artists.  We have more opportunities now than we have in many decades to purchase goods that are unique or customized to our specifications.

Technology has played a great part in this trend.  The internet allows us to discover new products and shop from the individuals and companies that make the things that we want.  We are no longer limited to what the buyer at the department store has decided; our selection is much broader now.  Technology has also brought the speed and cost of short-run manufacturing down to the extent that customization is much more feasible; where products once had a minimum order quantity of hundreds, in many cases an individualized product now has a minimum run of one without adding a lot of cost.

The happiest development, in my opinion, is that new markets have opened up for the craftsperson and artist.  Many consumers are embracing the opportunity to purchase unique and custom crafted products where they may in the past have bought a similar item that was mass-produced.  Ebay, Etsy and similar online marketplaces are thriving with artisans, as are numerous craft and art fairs that can be found all over the country.  Many artisans are willing to customize a piece of jewelry, an object of art, a toy or a piece of furniture to your desire – often not much more expensively than a similar (and oft-times lower quality) item from a big factory. 
 
I’ve nothing against big factories; they are, in fact, my business and they help raise our standard of living.  But there is a beauty in a handcrafted or short-run item.  This beauty goes beyond the physical item itself; it encompasses the artistry that created it and the knowledge that a real person created it just for you, and in the process is making an honest and honorable living by doing so.  Given the global economic trend to outsource manufacturing to places with the lowest labor cost, and the continuing Walmartification and Disnefication of our consumer goods (with prominent “Made in China” labels), this is a shining spot of hope for the US economy.

So, why do some people insist on stealing from our artisans?  And why can’t they see that it is, indeed, theft?

I’m not talking about burglarizing a workshop, although the net effect is the same.  I’m talking about the theft of intellectual property, which disrespects the artisan and makes it much more difficult for them to make a living.  I can explain further, but I will let a friend do so much better in this example, from a series of postings on Twitter during Baltimore’s Artscape festival:
I understand that you "aren't going to make a living selling coffee cozies". The fact remains that those are my design and photographing them in my booth while discussing how you're going to make them is rude and inappropriate, especially in front of your kids, and that is why I asked you not to. We are artists and had to figure things out on our own. Also, this is my livelihood and how I feed my baby. Thanks.
If you can’t see why this behavior is completely wrong, think of it in this way: do you mind me photographing you while you work the combination to your safe, so I can help myself later to something that you’ve worked hard to create?  What if I snap a photo of your child, so I can feature them in an ad for my product, without attribution or compensation? I didn’t think so; hang on, my camera is right here. 
 
Still not convinced?  If you’ve ever wondered why there are so many “no photography” signs at craft shows, or why you can’t just videotape a theatrical production, the answer is simple. It’s not yours to capture.  And doing so is stealing, just the same as me sticking my hand into your safe.  Someone has created something of value, and someone else has decided to take it without compensation, respect, or a second thought.  Plagiarism is another example.  So is ripping off music and video.  These are all forms of intellectual rape, and this is not hurting some nameless corporate entity – it hurts artists, who choose (often at very low wages considering the time, training and talent that they put in) to create things of beauty and lasting value.

To those who may argue that “information wants to be free”, I submit that information is one of the last things we create of value in this country.  And we deserve to be compensated – and celebrated - for creating it.

These people are the hope of our economy.  If we steal from them, we steal hope.  Please support our artisans, especially those local to you.  Give them their due, and their living.  If you want to make your own coffee cozy, good for you – just come up with your own design.

If you are interested in supporting a few very deserving artisans and rewarding yourself with cool stuff, here’s a few Baltimore-based artists who are very dear to me.  They get my business because they create wonderful things that warm my heart.  They thank me for my patronage and create smiles (and I get nothing for mentioning them here).
Green Star Studio: Soft sculpture artist, teacher, illustrator, muralist and all around fabulous person.  One-of-a-kind toys, jewelry and other neat stuff from recycled materials.

The Broken Plate: Crafter, Mom, breaker of plates.  Stunning and unique jewelry made from broken china plates.
Studio 722: One of a kind beaded jewelry designs in beaded necklaces, bracelets, earrings, custom bridal jewelry made with spectacular gemstones, crystals, glass beads, pearls and sterling silver.
Feel free to share your own favorites in comments here.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written & spot on! Thanks so much for responding in this forum. The incident yesterday really riled me up & choosing to say something turned my stomach, but I decided to because the children were party to this & it's not too late for them to learn an important lesson on the value of ones own ideas. Hoping to raise my son with a finely tuned moral compass & a respect for every person's value in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear! Considering getting back into arts and crafts myself. This is a good omen! (previous post removed to correct spelling!)

    ReplyDelete